[LAU] OT, but IMO really interesting living history: They still produce cassette tapes in Germany

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Dec 3 23:53:07 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-12-04 at 00:18 +0100, Set Hallstrom wrote:
> The problem i have experienced is playback speed. It seems they always
> have to start wobbling at some point :D

Good consumer and studio recorders don't have this issue. Sometimes the
audible waul is caused by bad bias and not by wow and flutter.

Maintaining such as demagnetizing and cleaning isn't hard to do, but
replacing a head is a serious issue, since there's the need to have a
special tape. I guess nowadays it's nearly impossible to get what's
needed to completely maintain a cassette recorder, resp. it for sure is
very expensive, since less needed nowadays.

> But it's worth pointing that audio tape is still a huge medium in
> africa, hence a good market for chinese players. ;)

News for me, didn't know it. "Africa" does mean the poor areas on the
continent? I don't know any Chinese company, time for some research :).