[LAU] Easiest way to extract score from an audio file

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Dec 24 08:41:52 UTC 2013

On 12/23/2013 05:24 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-12-23 at 16:08 -1000, david wrote:
>> It did a fine job recognizing every note in a commercial song with
>> multiple instruments and a full orchestra.
>>
>> It put all the notes on the same track, making the results completely
>> useless.
>
> Even if it should work, music isn't just notes and rhythm, there's some
> kind of voodoo too ... impossible to script something like the bass for
> this song
>
> McCoy Tyner & Bobby Hutcherson - African Village Part 2
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryOzXQkFO5Q
>
> :)

Well, a good score is an indication of how something should be played,
not every single little detail. It leaves such important components up
to the individual performer. I'm really disappointed by a number of
people who've learned to play by listening to others' performances; they
seem to have difficulty coming up with their own sound, or show a strong
propensity for sounding just like the performer they "learned" from.
Most commercial pop music seems to think that's the way it's supposed to
be, though.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com