[LAU] Easiest way to extract score from an audio file

Philipp Überbacher murks at tuxfamily.org
Tue Dec 24 11:00:31 UTC 2013

On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 22:41:52 -1000
david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com> wrote:

> On 12/23/2013 05:24 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Mon, 2013-12-23 at 16:08 -1000, david wrote:
> >> It did a fine job recognizing every note in a commercial song with
> >> multiple instruments and a full orchestra.
> >>
> >> It put all the notes on the same track, making the results
> >> completely useless.
> >
> > Even if it should work, music isn't just notes and rhythm, there's
> > some kind of voodoo too ... impossible to script something like the
> > bass for this song
> >
> > McCoy Tyner & Bobby Hutcherson - African Village Part 2
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryOzXQkFO5Q
> >
> > :)
>
> Well, a good score is an indication of how something should be
> played, not every single little detail. It leaves such important
> components up to the individual performer. I'm really disappointed by
> a number of people who've learned to play by listening to others'
> performances; they seem to have difficulty coming up with their own
> sound, or show a strong propensity for sounding just like the
> performer they "learned" from. Most commercial pop music seems to
> think that's the way it's supposed to be, though.

Although coming up with something 'own' just by varying something
existing can be a lot of fun. I'm a very lazy beginner on the piano and
know only a handful of songs, I'm generally too lazy to learn new ones.
However, I got bored with those and started to vary the rhythm, speed,
loudness, lots of small things, and those simple songs can take on
moods between depressing and happy, without changing a single key. This
was quite a rewarding experience.

Regards,
Philipp