[LAU] Loop Composition

Aurélien Leblond blablack at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 18:52:31 UTC 2013

My composition workflow is based on loops - starting by creating rythms in
>> Hydrogen and recording a few drum loops in Ardour, creating a bass line
>> with amSynth or ZynAddSubFX and recording a few bass loops in Ardour,
>> recording some guitars in Ardour and creating some samples from that...
>>
>> The difficulty I'm having in Linux is to create composition from those
>> loops.
>> In Ardour is is time consuming to reorganise the loops to test new
>> order/composition (because Ardour is not meant for that).
>>
>> My idea of a workflow would be to have a tool to try out the different
>> loops in different order and "jam" with them to see what works and what
>> doesn't.
>>

> Non-DAW has better features for dealing with looping regions/clips than
> Ardour does. You can set a loop point on any region, after which adjusting
> the region length adjusts the number of repetitions.

I quickly cheked the feature list for Non-DAW on their website.
Although the feature you described is listed, it doesn't really say if it
eases the composition part. It looks to me like you need to have a clear
idea of the song structure.
What if you would like to try out different arrangements quickly - can you
confirm or infirm if that is the case?