[LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Tue Feb 5 20:56:32 UTC 2013

On Tue, February 5, 2013 6:58 am, Dave Phillips wrote:

> So, in your honest and bold opinion as user and/or developer, what do we
> lack most and what can we do without that we already have ? Please feel
> free to expand your remarks as you like. I'm planning an article on the
> topic and will likely use selected comments, subject to approval of
> course.

I am seeing a need for sip audio transport that connects natively with
jack. Not just telephone SW, but the higher quality streams as well (as
used by EBU for example). There probably needs to be some good
documentation that explains to developers the difference in philosophy of
jack compared to desktop applications. For example, a jack application
_should_ open jack ports when the application first starts up and not
close them until the application closes rather than opening the port just
when it is needed for sending sound. This is important for routing and
setting levels and adding effects and... In fact, with the switch over of
most desktops to pulseaudio (remember no flames :) ) even desktop use apps
could remain connected for as long as the app runs. (probably not possible
for things like browser plugins though)

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net