[LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

cunnilinux himself cunnilinux at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 06:52:03 UTC 2013

some people here & there writes in this thread:

> Linux is THE hobbyist operating system

i work in a big fancy datacenter. so, the question is:
should i treat about 3/4 servers there as 'hobbyist' ?

so. i suspect that the real problem is somewhere else.

>  Here, on Linux, there is no such thing as market competition.
> And thus - no natural selection of software, so to speak.
there IS natural selection on linux, since there are basically two
kinds of linux audio software: 1) nearly-working & 2)
sometimes-semi-working never-finished pre-alpha snapshots. first of
these two is MUCH better.

> Most good music stores will let you try before buying. I take my computer
> right into the store and plug things in. It does mean I don't buy stuff
> that requires extra tweaks... just stuff that "just works".

so, at last the community MUST start some kind of online list or
database of class-compliant devices that just work (or work with
limitations that should be listed there too).

> Interesting, I have been thinking that making music (or video, graphics,
> whatever art form) is another form of development.

the problem is the fact that marketologists don't think so.
they think that techinical side should be hidden as much as possible,
and the user should interact with one or two magic buttons only.