[LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

Al Thompson althompson58 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 17:44:33 UTC 2013

On 02/06/2013 11:19 AM, hermann meyer wrote:
> Am 06.02.2013 16:49, schrieb Al Thompson:
>> I had to laugh at this.  Every once in a while, I will search to see if
>> there are any new LADSPA or LV2 plugins.  I often see plugins described
>> by their mathematical function, with NO hint of what it actually does.
>> If linux audio would like to get its foot in the door with guitarists,
>> defining available plugins only by math function is not the way to go
>> about it.  It almost seems like some plugins exists only because they
>> were someone's class assignment (write a plugin using FFT).
> Usually I wouldn't answer on this topic, even if I have some concerns,
> but I will repeat on this.
> Because my last announcements here on this list was exactly about LV2
> plug-ins for guitarist which indeed use at least FFT.
>> This release introduce the first LV2 plugs created from the guitarix
>> amps. Well, they will perfectly fit into hotel sierra
>>
>>  * GxAmplifier tube 12ax7 tonestack sovtek cabinet 4x12
>>  * GxAmplifier-II tube 12AT7 tonestack soldano cabinet AC30
>>  * GxAmplifier-III tube 6C16 tonestack bassman cabinet 1x15
>>  * GxAmplifier-IV tube 6V6 tonestack soldano cabinet mesa
>>  * GxAmplifier-V tube 6DJ8 tonestack ampeg cabinet HighGain
>>
>> there are mono and stereo versions of those amps included in the bundle
>
> The time were I have to wrote class assignments is a couple of years ago.
> I fail to see any description by math function.
> But as well, I fail to see any user feedback at all on this.

For the record, I hadn't even thought about your plugins, because you
give a GOOD description of what it is, what it does, and a GREAT idea of
what it will sound like.

The ones I was talking about give ONLY a description like "FFT plugin"
or some such vague term.  A typical audio user, or musician, is not
going to have ANY idea what that plugin is, what is would be used for,
or what its purpose is.

I consider your descriptions to be some of the best!

--
---
My bands, CD projects, music, news, and pictures:

  http://www.lateralforce.com

My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio,
mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
   http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer.  Kalt lügt es auch;
und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
                                                - [Friedrich Nietzsche]