[LAU] USB-MIDI

R. Mattes rm at mh-freiburg.de
Thu Feb 7 09:56:17 UTC 2013

On Thu, 07 Feb 2013 02:57:31 +0000, Q wrote
> On 06/02/13 22:22, Al Thompson wrote:
> > On 02/06/2013 03:43 PM, Folderol wrote:
> >> Does anyone have any experience of using a MIDI-over-USB dumb keyboard?
> >> Does it need special drivers or can I just plug it in and have it
automatically
> >> found by my machine?
> >>

> > If it's a simple class-compliant controller, it will just show up.  If
> > it has a bunch of features built-in, or isn't class-compliant, it could
> > be a different story.  I've used an M-Audio Oxygen, and it worked fine.
> > But I also tried an Alesis, and it didn't work so well.
>
> I've used both an Edirol PC-50 and an M-Audio Keystation 88ES and
> both worked flawlessly.

In general, I'd agree - jut onbe word of caucion:

I use an M-Audio Axiom whose USB implementation has one serious
bug: it _only_ works with a direct (i.e. no-hub) connection between
keyboard and host controller (a documented _feature_ of the device. Yes,
it's mentioned in the manual ...). Sometimes that  can  be a nasty
showstopper when used with laptops/netbooks with limited USB ports.
Even worse, the USB ports on my IBM's docking station look like an
USB hub to the device - no way to have the keyboard hooked up to the
docking station (and that was one reason to buy the dock in the first place).

 HTH Ralf Mattes