[LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

Louis Gorenfeld louis.gorenfeld at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 17:25:28 UTC 2013

>> > when you give someone else a GPL'ed application, you must be able (and
>> > willing) to give them all the source code required to build the app
>> > themselves. you cannot (legally) do that if the source includes the
>> > steinberg VST SDK. ergo, you cannot distribute a binary that was built
>> > using
>> > the VST SDK.

Wait, I'm curious. I missed that you said "you cannot distribute a
binary that was built using the VST SDK". You mean if the plug-in is
under GPL, not in general, right?

> those of us using the GPL generally do so for fairly clear reasons. we're
> not likely to throw it away just because ... steinberg.

I think I gave a better reason than "steinberg", but fair enough-- I
understand why some people would want to keep corporate hooks as far
away from Linux as possible.

-Louis