[LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Feb 7 12:08:46 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 1:54 AM, Louis Gorenfeld
<louis.gorenfeld at gmail.com>wrote:

> If I understand it correctly, you can compile free VSTs for Linux, you
> just can't give away their SDK source code without going through the
> form on Steinberg's website (just like with the Mac and Windows
> versions). VSTSDK, the (fairly separate) component I had a problem
> with, is legitimately open-sourced and Linux-centric improvements can
> be made. I'm not seeing a problem here, unless there's something I'm
> overlooking (always very possible with me :))

true, except that

  * linux-centric improvements require someone to do the work. you may have
noticed that such people are
          in short supply.
  * there is a perception that many (even a majority?) of plugin developers
use synthedit or juce, making
          VSTGUI appear less and less relevant
  * VSTGUI's original X Window implementation was based on Motif which was
nobody ever really used
          on Linux. A later version (I think) switched to be directly based
on X Window itself, which is not
          a bad choice, but doesn't make life particularly easy for host
developers
  * plugin developers still have a tendency to want to do things in
windows-y ways, even though both VST
          and VSTGUI attempt to convince them not to (GUI threading rules
are one example).