[LAU] USB-MIDI

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Feb 9 05:31:34 UTC 2013

On 02/08/2013 04:15 AM, Len Ovens wrote:

> On Fri, February 8, 2013 12:55 am, R. Mattes wrote:
>
>> Luky you. Never worked here - and see the following from their user guide,
>> Section 1.2 Setup, page 5:
>>
>>   "USB hubs are not supported. M-Audio suggests that you connect directly
>>    to one of your computer’s built in USB ports."
>>
>> Do you have any other gear connected to you hub while you use your
>> Axiom?
>
> A lot of computers already have an internal hub for more than one external
> port. So even if you "connect directly to one of your computer’s built in
> USB ports.", you are already using a hub. I have found it useful to check
> which port each of my plugs is on any machine I use for music. Normally
> USB 1-5. Almost always there is more than one plug on the same USB line.
> In fact it seems only USB 1-3 gets used on both my machines. I do this so
> I can avoid a USB port that shares irqs with the video card, etc.

My 8-year-old laptop has 2 USB controllers (a USB 1.1 and a USB 2). I
also have an external 8-port USB2 hub. I had a lot of problems with my
UCA-202 when running it through the external hub that went away when I
connected it directly. So I have the external hub on one port (with 8
other devices plugged into it, none of which are RT sensitive). The
UCA-202 by itself on another port. And lastly an external hard drive on
the third port.

I've also been told to keep USB keyboards (typing) and mice off the same
USB bus as RT sensitive devices. I don't remember why or where I heard
that. I run mine through the external hub.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community