[LAU] 1936 is calling

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Mon Feb 11 00:18:48 UTC 2013

On Sun, February 10, 2013 3:06 pm, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Still powerful and inspiring :
>
>      http://www.zakros.com/mica/soundart/s04/varese_text.html
>
> Or as a PDF if you prefer:
>
>      http://music.arts.uci.edu/dobrian/CMC2009/Liberation.pdf
>
> Much has been written of Varese's prescience regarding music and
> machines. I've read The Liberation Of Sound many times through the
> years, and it still amazes me, as does his wonderful music.
>
> Highly recommended reading.

Very good:
"The electronic medium is also adding an unbelievable variety of new
timbres to our musical store, but most important of all, it has freed
music from the tempered system, which has prevented music from keeping
pace with the other arts and with science. Composers are now able, as
never before, to satisfy the dictates of that inner ear of the
imagination. They are also lucky so far in not being hampered by esthetic
codification - at least not yet! But I am afraid it will not be long
before some musical mortician begins embalming electronic music in rules."

It seems the keyboard with it's tempered ideals has kept straight much of
todays music. I have noticed though, in playing a fretless instrument that
many times a micro tone just works... even in music that is quite
formalized.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net