[LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Mon Feb 11 14:41:22 UTC 2013

On Sunday 10 February 2013 11:10:17 Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 10:51:07AM -0500, drew Roberts wrote:
> > That does not stop me from stating what a horrid law I think it
> > is though nor from saying that violating that law and making
> > unauthorised copies is not stealing even if it is illegal.
>
> You have all the right to that opinion, and to advocate changes
> to copyright law (which indeed has some murky aspects which I'd
> want to see changed).

The thing is, the changes that I have seen in my lifetime have only served to
make the situation worse. And I don't see much force being applied to make
the situatin better.

> OTOH, saying that something isn't stealing just amounts to
> trying to redefine the meaning of that word so it's more or
> pointless.

No, those who call copyright violations stealing are trying to redefine the
word.

If someone approaches you in the street and bashes your face in with a bat,
permanently disfiguring you, he does not get charged before the courts
for "stealing" your good looks. There is another crime he is charged with.

If making unauthorized copies was clearly theft, we would not need copyright
law in the first place. People making such copies would be simply charged
with stealing just like those who pickpocket you would be.

When I say this, I am not trying to say it is right or wrong, that is a
different argument. I am saying it is not theft. Just as I would say it is
not assault and battery if someone called it that. Nor is it murder should
someone call it that. It is violating copyright, not those other things.

First, let's call it what it is. Then let's discuss if it is morally right or
wrong.

> And stating that an author who publishes his work
> voluntarily gives up any ability to control it is little more
> than whishfull thinking - just ask the author, who probably
> knows his/her own intentions better that you do.

So you tell a joke at work. Do you really think you have some inherent power
to stop that joke from being retold?