[LAU] DidJiX

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Feb 12 11:44:13 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2012-12-27 at 19:40 +0100, Pascal wrote:
> This small email just to say that the new version 1.0 of DidJiX - a
> live Linux distribution based on ArchLinux and focused on Mixxx - is
> available at http://didjix.blogspot.com.

Hi Pascal :)

I'll install Arch Linux again and I guess I'll install the _real_ Arch
Linux.

I won't read the complete homepage of DidJiX to get some simple answers,
so I hope it's ok to ask you ;).

Do I need to install it on an USB stick first, if I want to install it
to a HDD?

64-bit architecture?

Only DJ software or does it provide a real audio studio set up?

Is it compatible to a _real_ Arch Linux or could it cause
inconsistencies, if I use the Arch repositories and AUR?

"The computers on which you run DidJiX generally offer a single sound
card and so, you can't make pre-listening with headphones..."

So this distro is intended for usage with crappy hardware? My soundcard
does provide an internal mixer, that does enable to hear different
channels by headphones, than by the main outputs, if you want this.
Usually something that is not only used by DJs, but needed for
monitoring in recording studios too. And who wants to hear aux sends to
hardware FX mixed to the main outputs or headphones ;)?

I really don't understand this, since even elCheapo on-board crap comes
with more than 2 outputs. (Apart from this I wasn't aware that real
hardware mixers are that seldom nowadays.)

So I suspect DidJiX is intended to be used with DJ software and is not
set up for producing music in a more old fashion, classic style?

TIA,
Ralf