[LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

Al Thompson althompson58 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 23:36:44 UTC 2013

On 02/12/2013 11:46 AM, drew Roberts wrote:

>> It's a necessary consequence of Kinsella's argument that some idiot with a
>> DVD burner can spend a few hours copying content he didn't create, and he
>> has exercised his inviolable property right while the people who made that
>> profit possible -- on the basis of years of training and practice -- are
>> screwed.
> Please explain why they are so *ignorant* as to not make those copies
> themselves and sell them?

Perhaps the composer IS making copies and selling them.  That is his
right, since he owns the copyright.  Or perhaps he ISN'T, because he has
decided for whatever personal reason that he doesn't want the work 'out
there.'

Explain who either of these situations would give YOU the right to make
copies of someone else's work and sell them.

> There is a world of material out there that it is legal to copy and sell. How
> many do it? Why don't you if it is so easy to make money that way?

It's hardly easy to make money by SELLING what is available for FREE.
Sure, it happens.  There are a few places on the internet where you can
pay to download something (like an owner's manual) that is available FOR
FREE on the manufacturer's website.  Since the manufacturer in this case
makes it available for free, they aren't really ripping off the
manufacturer, but I'd say they are ripping off the consumer.

--
---
My bands, CD projects, music, news, and pictures:

  http://www.lateralforce.com

My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio,
mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
   http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer.  Kalt lügt es auch;
und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
                                                - [Friedrich Nietzsche]