[LAU] LAC 2013, why not more students?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Feb 13 02:56:32 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 5:19 PM, Thomas Vecchione <seablaede at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 6:42 AM, Marije Baalman <nescivi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hiho,
>>
>> the streamteam of the LAC is working long hours each year to make
>> everything happen - and the video/audio streams are of quite high
>> quality each year, and the questions from IRC do add to the conference.
>>
>> Any help to improve the online-ness of the LAC in addition to the
>> offline-ness is appreciated.
>> Suggestions are welcome, especially if backed up by work on making
>> these things happen.
>>

> That was actually a main point of me bringing this up, is to stir
> conversation.

the formal program(mes) are the least effective part of LAC, IMO. what made
attending them worthwhile was the chance encounters in hallways, in
restaurants, in bars. these sorts of exchanges don't map well to video
conferencing.

in fact, i'd probably go as far as to say that video conferencing is
massively impeded when it is *not* preceded by in-person encounters by the
parties involved. this is true even of IRC to some extent, and the changes
i've had to meet various LA people (including you) have been enormous in
constructing my sense of an ability to communicate with them all.