[LAU] More jack woes

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Wed Feb 13 13:18:21 UTC 2013

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 13:08:56 +0000
Harry van Haaren <harryhaaren at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 5:28 AM, Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:
>
> > Exactly. Audacity has no need of jack...
> >

> Perhaps, but I need Audacity to work with JACK. I'm not starting and
> stopping JACK every time I want to switch between Ardour and Audacity.
> Ardour affords much more professional multi-tracking features, but Audacity
> excels in finalizing and error checking the final master: therefore I need
> both at the same time, do an export, check for improvements, do
> improvements in Ardour, export, check for improvements, etc.
>
> @ Bob,
> Audacity works fine here, there's "JACK" in the audio I/O drop down box
> here..? Found this image online that shows what I'm talking about:
> http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lb_EleEc6BQ/UGx3NmrxypI/AAAAAAAABgc/4KMi9fdnw-Q/s1600/audacity-JACK.png
>
> Hth, -Harry

For what it's worth, my workflow is to use timemachine to record - this
follows the unix principle of do just one thing but do it well. It is actually
dependent on jack on the input side, and will save to several different
formats. It also gives you a handy 10 second pre-record. Once I have the
recording safely on disk I then use whatever programs I like to do the
processing.

The greatest bugbear of using audacity directly for recording is that it uses
portaudio which doesn't create any connections until you actually send it data.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk