[LAU] a question on Lenovo laptop

Djého Youn ydjeho at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 16:29:11 UTC 2013

mmm....ok.

so, this automatically leads to this very famous question here:
which external card will be compatible (means working out of box) with the
type of Lenovo laptop I want to buy. (it's not thinkpad series. it's G
series G580, G780...etc.)
and as I'll already spend 700-900 euros on new lap top, the cheapest option
will be better.

I need one mic input and a stereo output. (although more outputs can be
always welcome, if it doesn't double up the price)
I don't need super hyper fantastic quality. just 'normal'.
cheap and work out of box with the most recent laptop + ubuntu set up would
be more important than quality...
but one good bonus will be headphone amp + on board headphone volume
control. I spend a lot of time with my Beyerdynamic DT-770.

and the reason why I insist on Lenovo models is simply I never had any
other brand...before my first PC laptop, I was brainwashed by mac. so I
have no idea about general PC stuff.
so plz don't hesitate if you can recommend a decent laptop from other brand.

thanks!

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 4:38 PM, Joe Hartley <jh at brainiac.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 16:23:27 +0100
> Djého Youn <ydjeho at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > my problem with combo is that even if it works fine,
> > I use mic input and headphone output at the same time when I perform. (I
> > don't sing, but I use my voice to trigger some efxs...etc.)
> >
> > mic input --> process --> headphone out
> >
> > pffff...maybe it's time to consider purchasing a external card?
> > it seems that combo jack is new trend. many laptops I've found
> interesting
> > comes with combo setup...
>
> You'll definitely want an external audio interface, an inexpensive one
> should be fine, but you can ramp up as to your needs.  The audio
> chips used in the Thinkpads have always been pretty low quality, I think
> you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much better the sound is with an
> external interface.
>
> --

Jae Ho YOUN

http://jaehoyoun.com