[LAU] More jack woes

Bob van der Poel bob at mellowood.ca
Thu Feb 14 02:41:48 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 7:14 PM, Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:

> On Wed, February 13, 2013 5:40 pm, Bob van der Poel wrote:
>
>>> The greatest bugbear of using audacity directly for recording is that it
>>> uses
>>> portaudio which doesn't create any connections until you actually send
>>> it data.
>>
>> Yeah, I've heard others mention this. Why is it a problem?
>
> Probably means with jack. Part of the reason for using jack is to be able
> to change routing and add audio blocks in the middle of the audio signal.
> For example:
>
> Sax -> mic->jack->eq->jack->reverb->jack->audacity
>
> So the user starts jack and has the mic sound on capture-1. The user can
> hook that up to one of the meter programs to see the signal and set the
> the audio card inputs to the right amount below clipping... Or better use
> the Audio IFs meters.

Oh, I see. Makes sense. And, truly I'm really not using jacks power at
all. The only reason I'm using it at all is that I find that if I have
auacity play back a single track and record a 2nd it crashes and
burns. But, with jack it appears to be okay.

I'll have to do some more testing with the Presonus interface. But
that's for tomorrow.

--
**** Listen to my CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: bob at mellowood.ca