[LAU] Ubuntu-Studio 13.04 Nvidia drivers?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Feb 14 08:22:13 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-02-13 at 18:23 -0800, Len Ovens wrote:
> I think you can even take the generic kernel and add the param
> at boot time.

It's a good idea to test the graphics driver with the generic kernel.
For test purpose it might be good to remove the lowlatency kernel and
for the generic kernel _not_ to set threadirqs or what ever parameter is
meant.

FWIW 3D screensavers should work with nouveau too, I suspect that only a
few games need a proprietary driver.

I'm a Ubuntu Studio user too and removed my NVIDA graphics from my
computer, using the integrated ATI now, with the FLOSS driver. Something
like Google Earth is as fast as with the NVIDIA proprietary and with
nouveau, but ATI at the moment does cause less (= no) pain on my
machine, but even NVIDIA doesn't cause serious pain. NVIDIA proprietary
driver support usually is better than ATI proprietary driver support for
Linux. For my ATI there is no proprietary driver that does work with
current versions of X.

I'm not a gamer. Perhaps it's better to have separated installs, one for
games, the other for audio-realtime.