[LAU] Ubuntu-Studio 13.04 Nvidia drivers?

John Murphy rosegardener at freeode.co.uk
Thu Feb 14 17:12:48 UTC 2013

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 09:22:13 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Wed, 2013-02-13 at 18:23 -0800, Len Ovens wrote:
> > I think you can even take the generic kernel and add the param
> > at boot time.
>
> It's a good idea to test the graphics driver with the generic kernel.
> For test purpose it might be good to remove the lowlatency kernel and
> for the generic kernel _not_ to set threadirqs or what ever parameter is
> meant.

Yes, that worked Nvidia 310.32 installed and working fine on Generic.

> FWIW 3D screensavers should work with nouveau too, I suspect that only a
> few games need a proprietary driver.

I'll be able to compare results between the Nouveau and proprietary
drivers. Doesn't mean much I'm sure, but glxgears managed 85fps with
Nouveau and 3,520fps with 310.32 (GeForce GTX 560 Ti) :)

> I'm a Ubuntu Studio user too and removed my NVIDA graphics from my
> computer, using the integrated ATI now, with the FLOSS driver. Something
> like Google Earth is as fast as with the NVIDIA proprietary and with
> nouveau, but ATI at the moment does cause less (= no) pain on my
> machine, but even NVIDIA doesn't cause serious pain. NVIDIA proprietary
> driver support usually is better than ATI proprietary driver support for
> Linux. For my ATI there is no proprietary driver that does work with
> current versions of X.

Mmm. Google Earth. I must get on installing and configuring.

> I'm not a gamer. Perhaps it's better to have separated installs, one for
> games, the other for audio-realtime.

It may well come to that. Boot is so amazingly fast, it would hardly
matter if I do need to go that way, but I prefer everything working
well on one kernel if possible.

Thanks again.