[LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

briandc brian at amsynth.com
Thu Feb 14 14:08:23 UTC 2013

Dave Phillips wrote
> Greetings,
>
> I've been reading a lot of negative (read: vitriolic) commentary about
> the world of Linux audio development and applications. I won't bother to
> say where, just "the usual places" will have to suffice. Of greater
> interest to me is the commentary itself - it seems to boil down to the
> following plaints and lamentations (in no particular order) :
>
> Too many distros.
> Too many audio-optimized distros.
> Not enough native plugins, esp. instruments.
> Inconsistent support for VST/VSTi plugins.
> Too many unstable/unfinished applications.
> Too many  "standards" (esp. wrt plugins).
> Poor external/internal session management.
> Poor support for certain modes of composition (think Ableton Live).
> Lack of support for contemporary hardware.
> Confusion re: desktops, and GUI toolkits.
> Too difficult to set up audio system.
> JACK is a pain.
> Too much conflict/fragmentation within the development community.
>
> I'm not so interested in comments on the commentary, I have my own, but
> say what you will about the list. I figure that most denizens of these
> lists already have ready replies and responses to these and other
> criticisms, many of which have been voiced here previously. What I'm
> more interested in is what *you* think is missing most or just plain
> wrong about the situation. Please, try to speak your piece without
> flames or dissing other developers and/or their work. Frankly speaking,
> I've had enough of that crap, and I'm most thankful these days for such
> forum amenities as "mute user" and autodiscard, along with the standard
> filters found in mail clients.
> <aside>
> I'm reminded of John Cage's comments regarding the behavior of the NY
> Philharmonic when they destroyed his equipment during the premire of
> Atlas Eclipticalis, something to the effect that his concerns had ceased
> to be musical and had become social, i.e. that he had to figure a way to
> allow people to be free yet behave themselves with respect towards the
> common goal (e.g. Cage's music and property). I'm going to guess that he
> was still working on that up to his death.
> </aside>
> So, in your honest and bold opinion as user and/or developer, what do we
> lack most and what can we do without that we already have ? Please feel
> free to expand your remarks as you like. I'm planning an article on the
> topic and will likely use selected comments, subject to approval of
> course.
>
> Best,
>
> dp

Hi dp,
personally, I think the complaints (if referring to those coming from
outside the world of linux) are mainly about either a) lack of apps, or b)
lack of "plug-and-play" capabilities.

As a linux user for the last few years (no programming experience either), I
suppose it would be good to have things working "out-of-the-box" as best as
possible. People don't like to fiddle around, even though I do..

Having more apps available would be good, of course.
The VST instruments for Windows are in the hundreds, whereas for linux
they're in the dozens.  Of course, many of the VST instruments aren't
necessarily all that great, to the solution is probably not in the sheer
"number" of instruments available, but in the quality.
I see many people using non-free instruments (kontact, etc) and I'd like to
see some of this technology spill over into linux. But I think it'd have to
be free, in order to get people to try it.   --There's nothing like doing a
linux-based music performance for people who have only used Windows, to whet
their appetites!

There's an idea: free linux music concerts!! :D

brian