[LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Thu Feb 14 14:37:23 UTC 2013

On Thu, February 14, 2013 6:08 am, briandc wrote:

> personally, I think the complaints (if referring to those coming from
> outside the world of linux) are mainly about either a) lack of apps, or b)
> lack of "plug-and-play" capabilities.
>
> As a linux user for the last few years (no programming experience either),
> suppose it would be good to have things working "out-of-the-box" as best
> as
> possible. People don't like to fiddle around, even though I do..

I think to answer these questions well, one has to look at the linux audio
world for what it is without any comparison to another OS. There is a
trade off between flexibility and performance as compared to plug and play
ease. The trick is to provide the ease while still providing the tools for
the flexibility. Personally I want flexibility first.

> Having more apps available would be good, of course.
> The VST instruments for Windows are in the hundreds, whereas for linux
> they're in the dozens.  Of course, many of the VST instruments aren't
> necessarily all that great, to the solution is probably not in the sheer
> "number" of instruments available, but in the quality.

A small number of good tools is better than a large number of bad or even
unknown tools. The real question is not "do I wish I had tool x" but
rather "can I make music with what I have?" and "do I wish I could do
this". In other words it is not about a missing tool but missing
functionality.

A person who has no win/mac experience has a different set of wants I think.

Many people moving from another OS, just want the experience they had on
that OS to continue.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net