[LAU] Sample rates

Bob van der Poel bob at mellowood.ca
Fri Feb 15 22:10:37 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 2:59 PM, Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:

> On Fri, February 15, 2013 9:34 am, Bob van der Poel wrote:
>
>>> Some devices are set to a fixed frequency with a hardware switch, and
>>> report only that to the computer.
>>>
>>> Most devices, however, allow the computer to select the rate.
>>
>> How can one tell? alsamixer just says "this sound device does not have
>> any controls".
>
> I don't think rate is one of the controls alsamixer looks at. Jack should
> tell you if it was successful at setting a rate. I have never tried
> setting a device to an invalid rate.
>
> On the off chance that Jack is able to set a rate your IF can't do, you
> will hear pops and clicks. (Pulse can run at a different rate in the case
> of an HDA IF with a one speed only mic :P Jack may be able to as well)

Oh, right you are. Guess I should actually look at some of the data on
my terminal screen!

   creating alsa driver ... hw:USB|hw:USB|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
   configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames (21.3 ms), buffer = 2 periods
   ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 24bit little-endian
   ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
   ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 24bit little-endian
  ALSA: use 2 periods for playback

Best,

--
**** Listen to my CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****