[LAU] Audio distros

John Murphy rosegardener at freeode.co.uk
Sat Feb 16 20:07:09 UTC 2013

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 16:53:36 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 14:34:00 +0100, James Stone <jamesmstone at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Out of interest, what problems do you have with ubuntu studio?
>
> It's buggy as hell, the LTS still is ok, but Quantal already is a PITA and
> Ubuntu seems to go a way, I'm not willing to go. I'm not interested in app
> shops, Amazon etc.. Even if you can't find it for Ubuntu Studio, it's
> based on a distro that does go this way. FWIW Quantal from the Ubuntu
> Studio install media is more buggy, than Quantal from the Ubuntu install
> media + Xfce and the studio meta packages on my machine.

Must admit I was surprised to see adverts in the Software Centre
of US 13.04, but apart from that I'm delighted with it so far.
Everything is so much snappier than with the Kubuntu 12.04 I used
before. Even things like fetching mail is noticeably faster!

Software Centre opens if I click a .deb Maybe I'll just uninstall
it if I'm allowed. :)

OT: How do you like FreeBSD's tcsh shell and configuration?
    One of the first things I do on any new Linux install is install
    tcsh and get it working with 'history search' on up/down arrow
    keys like fbsd, and then get my prompt looking right.
    Soon feels like home...