[LAU] Audio distros

Chris Bannister cbannister at slingshot.co.nz
Sun Feb 17 12:00:16 UTC 2013

[No need to include me in the reply, I'm subscribed to the list]

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 11:30:45PM -0800, Len Ovens wrote:

> On Sat, February 16, 2013 10:23 pm, Chris Bannister wrote:
> > Also my comment was just pointing out that if you have synaptic
> > installed you can't honestly claim that you have a "truly minimum
> > desktop"
>
> ?? Synaptic is an app, like Ardour is an app. It is nor really a part of
> the desktop. The desktop is that pile of apps that are started at login
> and stop at logoff... They are running all the time. The update manager is
> a different story.

Some people consider the desktop to *be* the system, so I was just going
along with that premise.  You can choose to just have a window manager,
(e.g. fvwm) instead of a DE to be even more lean. I'm referring to
diskspace and unnecesary resources when I talk about a minimum desktop.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X