[LAU] Audio distros

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sun Feb 17 16:22:41 UTC 2013

On Sun, February 17, 2013 4:00 am, Chris Bannister wrote:
> [No need to include me in the reply, I'm subscribed to the list]

Unfortunately, this list does not add a replyto: field so the only way of
getting things to the list is with reply all.... or spend time messing
with all the header fields.

> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 11:30:45PM -0800, Len Ovens wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, February 16, 2013 10:23 pm, Chris Bannister wrote:
>> > Also my comment was just pointing out that if you have synaptic
>> > installed you can't honestly claim that you have a "truly minimum
>> > desktop"
>>
>> ?? Synaptic is an app, like Ardour is an app. It is nor really a part of
>> the desktop. The desktop is that pile of apps that are started at login
>> and stop at logoff... They are running all the time. The update manager
>> is
>> a different story.
>
> Some people consider the desktop to *be* the system, so I was just going
> along with that premise.  You can choose to just have a window manager,
> (e.g. fvwm) instead of a DE to be even more lean. I'm referring to
> diskspace and unnecesary resources when I talk about a minimum desktop.

I guess from my POV, disk space is somewhat less precious than memory/cpu
time (ei. running resources). This does not make my POV right though. I am
running right now on a 40G USB drive which is sort of mid-range these days
for an SD drive (this one is mechanical not an SD) and space is not really
an issue.

Fvwm is one of my favourites. I am using xfce right now (I am testing for
Ubuntu Studio)and thinking about what auto started apps I can get rid of.
I don't need a file manager for a back ground for example, as I have icons
turned off on my desktop (can't see them most of the time anyway). I don't
need auto mounters running as I don't ever want something to auto mount
while I am doing audio work. I do like the panel for a main menu (there is
not always some visible desktop to right click on) and the window buttons
space. I only have one monitor and so multi work spaces and a switcher and
systray round out my needs/wants.

I guess in theory, once X is running all that is needed is an xterm. In
fact that used to be the standard when I started (and 4M of ram was
$400... and it took 8m to run X). One of the microvax systems I used at
work was this way, an xterm and the app menu was what showed up.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net