[LAU] (OT) list addresses (was Re: Audio distros)

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sun Feb 17 17:26:46 UTC 2013

On Sun, February 17, 2013 8:49 am, Joe Hartley wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 00:36:46 +0800
> Simon Wise <simonzwise at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Unfortunately, this list does not add a replyto: field so the only way
>> of
>> > getting things to the list is with reply all.... or spend time messing
>> > with all the header fields.
>>
>> I thought most email clients have supported reply-to-list based on
>> List-id for ages?
>
> It's not so much the mail client as the list settings and the headers it
> adds to the email (though some clients are broken with regards to this).
>
> For me, using the Sylpheed client, a simple reply comes back to the list,
> while a reply-all goes to the sender with a cc: to the list, which would
> cause the original sender to get the message twice.  When replying to a
> list, you hardly ever want to reply-all.

SquirrelMail version 1.4.22 here. Reply goes to From: which is the
original sender and reply-all is reply all. For some reason the reply
works just fine for the ubuntustudio list, but not here.

Whats wrong with a proper reply-to: header? Why add more headers that only
work with some sw? A client is not "broken" if it doesn't support whatever
a list happens to use, but the list is broken if it doesn't support basic
usage.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net