[LAU] (OT) list addresses (was Re: Audio distros)

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Sun Feb 17 20:52:53 UTC 2013

On Sunday 17 February 2013 11:49:06 Joe Hartley wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 00:36:46 +0800
>
> Simon Wise <simonzwise at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, this list does not add a replyto: field so the only way
> > > of getting things to the list is with reply all.... or spend time
> > > messing with all the header fields.
> >
> > I thought most email clients have supported reply-to-list based on
> > List-id for ages?
>
> It's not so much the mail client as the list settings and the headers it
> adds to the email (though some clients are broken with regards to this).
>
> For me, using the Sylpheed client, a simple reply comes back to the list,
> while a reply-all goes to the sender with a cc: to the list, which would
> cause the original sender to get the message twice.  When replying to a
> list, you hardly ever want to reply-all.

Nor mally, a simple reply works for me but for some posts, a reply just goes
back to the sender. For those, if I catch them, I start again with a
reply-all and delete all but the list normally. When I don't catch it, I end
up sending driect and not to the list. In those cases, I hopefully catch it
later and send again to the list the second time.

I have not investigated if this occurs when people cc the list instead of
having the mail sent to the list.

all the best,

drew