[LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

jonetsu at teksavvy.com jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Mon Feb 18 16:44:28 UTC 2013

Le 18-02-2013 09:32, Len Ovens a écrit :

> I'm not advocating for PA. If you are setting up a box that has/uses
> no
> desktop sound, I would not include PA. It does fill a need for some
> people
> though.

I record using Ardour and I play media files using vlc and firefox (eg.
Youtube).  Hardware is a 1010Lt card.
Do I need PA ?  Last Friday, thanks to some help here I got to know the
pavucontrol utility which enables the turning off of the 'built-in
audio' functionality and the enabling of the Envy24 output.

There are a few choices in enabling Envy24, and all of them have to do
with either 'stereo' or 'surround'.  So far I haven't tried Ardour on
this new Linux Mint machine (used Fedora/CCRMA for years, but F18 is not
nice at all so I switched - one nice thing with Mint is that for time to
time they issue a long-lasting release eg. Mint 13 is supported until
2017 - current is Mint 14, supported for a year, which is what I
currently use, until another long-lasting release is issued), so, so far
I haven't tried Ardour/jack on this new machine and I hope those
'stereo' and 'surround' things do not interfere with multi-track
recording.

I'm all for having a lean system, even with quad core CPU there's no
excuse in running stuff that is not needed.
On my previous Fedora 15 system I had to shut down jack for firefox to
have sound output. Do I need PA ?  Can it be useful say, to have
jack/Ardour running and at the same time have media from firefox being
played or even recorded in Ardour ?  Can PA play with jack ?  Is that a
usefulness of having PA around ?