[LAU] Lame outputting float instead of 16bit mp3s

Julien Claassen julien at mail.upb.de
Tue Feb 19 10:39:06 UTC 2013

Hello everyone!
   I have to recode a few mp3s from 16bit 1 channel, 44.1kHz 64kpbs to
something even smaller. I choose: 16bit, 1channel, 32kHz, 48kpbs. The 48kpbps
was automatically chosen by lame, when I gave it -h. So I did this:
mplayer -ao pcm:file=pcm.wav in.mp3
resample --16bit --wav --rate 32000 pcm.wav resampled.wav
lame -h resampled.wav out.mp3
   The resampled wav has, what it takes: 16bit, 1 channel and 32kHz. But the
mp3 always ends up having not 16bit but float. At least mplayer tells me and I
tend to believe it, instead of pure mpg321, which tells me something
completely different.
   I treid with and without -v (for VBR) and I tried passing a direct bitrate
to lame (using -b). No joy, the mp3 is a little smaller than the original, but
not as small as it should be.
   Anyone an idea, why this might happen and how I might change this?
   Warm regards
          Julien