[LAU] The Psychology of Music

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Feb 21 06:09:50 UTC 2013

On 02/20/2013 02:57 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing bad with playing chess, but it’s
> just a game and playing chess doesn’t give super cow powers.
> Being active  does train our creativity, brains and muscles.
> Questionable if boxing or playing chess, is the more active exertion.
>
> There’s also nothing bad with inland water fishing.  Also called a
> sport, but a sport with being less active.
>
> The rule is: “You snooze, you lose.” It’s not important what we like to
> do,  it’s important that we do something.
>
> Listening to music A isn’t better, than listening to music B.  Doing X
> isn’t better than doing Y.  Where do all this claims come from?
>
> Some people playing chess are creative others aren’t, it has less to do
> with playing chess.

I also played chess - but we called it a game, not a "sport". But then,
I also played pool, which is also a game, and it is called a sport. I
never played golf and sometimes don't consider it a sport at all. Is
skeet-shooting a sport? I don't believe it's ever been called a game,
although it originally grew out of hunting aerial game ...

If you think of a game/sport as "solving a problem within rule
constraints" - I think it would be quite possible for a particular game
to be an elegantly done and executed solution to a problem.

A musician is also "solving a problem within rule constraints" (if
nothing more than the musician's determination to express themselves
using music vs carving a marble sculture).

So an elegantly done and executed game/sport contest could be just as
much a work of art as a specific musical composition.

See what happens when you turn monkeys loose on the Internet? ;-)

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community