[LAU] sending sysex while jackd runs

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat Feb 23 20:57:38 UTC 2013

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 3:19 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org>wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 01:09:28PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 11:16 AM, Johannes Kroll <jkroll at lavabit.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > > I don't know if there's such a tool. But AFAIK jack would only block
> > > the raw MIDI device when you use "-X raw" to use the raw MIDI driver in
> > > jack. Do you need that driver? If you don't, you can use the "seq"
> > >

> > to reiterate: if timing matters to you, do NOT use -X raw or -X seq.
> >
> > use a2jmidid -e instead.
>
> Are there any technical reasons why whatever method a2jmidi
> is using is not adopted for the backend ? Maybe it's just a
> matter of manpower, but OTOH this situation with the backend
> failing to do 'the right thing' has existed for quite some
> time now.

it is just a question of manpower. i already did factor out most of the
a2j* code into an internal client that jackd could load. the problems
remaining:

    * whether or not to provide a new way to load such clients (e.g. on the
jackd command line)
    * what to do about the dbus integration that is used in a2jmidid to
pick up the arrival and departure of
           new MIDI interfaces

I'm not sure that dbus is actually necessary for this - i think the
sequencer API has its own way of announcing new clients (and the departure
of existing ones) - but I have not investigated it enough to come to a
conclusion.