[LAU] I need to catalogue wave file regions.

John Murphy rosegardener at freeode.co.uk
Sat Jan 12 02:29:23 UTC 2013

On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 10:40:24 +0000, Chris Cannam wrote:

> You can mark and save metadata from regions of an audio file in Sonic
> Visualiser, is that of any help? --
>
> http://sonicvisualiser.org

Well I do find it a bit awkward. The representation of the focused
area is just right, but as I've said - I find it much better to
stop and start play by right click. Don't really need a context
menu in that area and the mouse is always to hand - whereas the
play button on the toolbar is far away and I lose focus. I don't
use a keyboard unless I'm entering a fair bit of text really.

So all I would do to create a 'region' would be load the wav and
probably right click anywhere on the display area to start play.
It would start from the beginning as the play head position hasn't
been set (by left clicking).

SV shows a representation of the entire file, great, but I'd like
to adjust its height if possible and it should extend across the
entire window, nearly. It's OK with a small gap either side. A
single left click in there should update the main display to that
position and carry on playing from there. Right click in there
does the same (play/stop) as in the main area.

Now an area of interest is in view, I'd stop and left click within
the display to set the position at which play starts when I right
click. It becomes a simple matter to get the exact position at which
a newly created region would start. Now I would click a button to
'mark beginning'. If it's just a short passage and the end is in
the view - it's simply a matter of left clicking somewhere near and
then right click to start playing the start of what will be outside
the new region. If it's not in view - just one click on the full
representation would move and keep playing from there. Once found,
the 'mark end button is clicked and a dialogue opens for naming and
attributing etc.

Couple of essentials would be that the wav files should only be
opened for reading, and that there should be no gaps when going from
the end of one region to the start of the next, in a play list which
may point to many pretty large files on various HDDs.

Thanks for reading and sorry for all the clicking :|

--
John.