[LAU] About Digital I/O

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Jan 16 12:07:27 UTC 2013

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 12:32:18 +0100, Julien Claassen <julien at mail.upb.de>
wrote:
> I got a Lindy A to D converter. I say this, because it was the only
> device I could find for less than 100 EUR (44 or 45 EUR at
> www.musicstore.de, probably in other big music stores elsewhere). I'm
> quite happy with it and I have used it in a multitrack recording setup.

Perhaps the OP has got a CD player or DVD player or a second computer with
coaxial S/PDIF output, if so I recommend to test, if it's possible to get
the input from the CD/DVD player, when recording the analog IOs too. I
guess nowadays DAT, MD etc. are very seldom. When my portable DAT and my
stationary DAT drives get broken, I neither repaired them nor did I buy a
new DAT recorder a friend has got 3 or 4 stationary broken DAT drives and
 from time to time he tries to repair the drives, fortunately they are from
the same series and revisions as my stationary DAT, so I would benefit
 from his effort, if he ever should get a drive working again. Perhaps the
OP could get a high quality A/D converter for less money by buying a DAT
recorder with a broken drive. Note: Not all devices provide coaxial in and
outputs.My stationary DAT e.g. does provide coaxial input only, but
optical input and output, my portable DAT only does provide coaxial input
and output, but no optical IOs.

Regards,
Ralf

--