[LAU] L_ProAudio: A Linux Proaudio FrameWork with improved Wine/kernel(rt) support [Jordan]

John Murphy rosegardener at freeode.co.uk
Wed Jan 16 14:06:57 UTC 2013

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 08:16:23 -0500, jordan wrote:

> Hartmut Noack wrote:
>
> >So it is a special rt-kernel plus wine optimized for audio OK?
> >
> >Sounds quite neat: did you test software other than audiostuff running
> >with this special wine? And what about prop. drivers and the kernel?
> >Nvidia etc -- they are plague but on some machines they are needed....
>
> Yup, rt-kernel with some extra options/patches for those who might want them.

Sold! Thank you. ;)

> Any software that i have tested with this version of Wine (beyond
> audio stuff) seems to work fine. Other programs aren't using the L_
> variables / RT stuff anyway, so their shouldn't be an issue with them.
> that being said, i'm not really interested in transgaming, using
> MsOffice in wine or anything like that, i mainly use VST/ASIO stuff...
> so you may be a better judge, if you happen to be running non-audio
> stuff.

I don't do much with Wine, but if I can get it working on my 64bit
Kubuntu 12.04, with the patch for my wonderful wheel, and any nVidia
(NonFree) driver - I'd be over the moon! I'll happily test anything
on the platform too, if all goes well. It's not looking too bad so far.
The patch (which worked on 3.8rc3) applied to your 3.6-rt-L_pa kernel
source and I was able to select it in make xconfig. I also selected
Latencytop, which I've heard of, but not used. Build and install just
finished - with the (now familiar) dkms problems. I think I know what
to do. Just drag the script into an xterm window and hit enter it says:

http://ubuntuxtreme.com/howto/how-to-install-nvidia-310-14-drivers-major-changes/

> Nvidia should work fine - since i am a long-time Nvidia user (and I am
> using the latest 313.09 with rt / L_pa), that is a must have for me. I
> had hoped to fix my nvidia package over the weekend, but i had some
> important / work-related stuff come up, so hopefully later this week i
> can sit down and properly package it, but it probably won't be until
> the weekend. (2013 so far, has been extremely busy at work for me).

I think I'll try just running with the kernel and whatever GPU driver
it can manage to work with, just to see if the wheel patch works etc.

> I've got a small Wiki up too (now) that might answer a few of your
> other questions, i'll be adding some more stuff, (again) once i can
> free up some time (soon).

Thanks for all the work you've put in already on this. I've a feeling
it's going to be very popular...

--
John.
OSS FTW!