[LAU] I really need help with jack

Bob van der Poel bob at mellowood.ca
Sat Jan 26 22:36:32 UTC 2013

I've decided that the only way I'm going to get my system to record
anything decent is to use jackd. But, I'm being a total idiot with
this ...

First off, I have the the following devices:

bob$ aplay -l
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC883 Digital [ALC883 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: CODEC [USB Audio CODEC], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

The 2nd one is a spdif speaker attached to the mother board. For now,
lets try to get jack working with this.

 pasuspender -- jackd -d alsa "ALC883 Digital"

(BTW, I tried hw0,1 and some other combinations ... but they are the
same results)

After the command I get:

bob$ pasuspender -- jackd -d alsa "ALC883 Digital"
jackd 0.121.2
Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben
Hohn and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

cannot lock down memory for jackd (Cannot allocate memory)
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames (21.3 ms), buffer = 2 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit integer little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit integer little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
JACK: unable to mlock() port buffers: Cannot allocate memory
JACK: unable to mlock() port buffers: Cannot allocate memory

**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.033 msecs

Which seems to be okay?

Now, I run audacity. Got jack as an output option and load a file.
Play it ... the VU meter shows, but no audio. NADA. Just silence.

If I can't get a simple play to work, I fear becoming a recording star
is out of my reach!

Please, this shouldn't be that hard???

--
**** Listen to my CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****