[LAU] I really need help with jack

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Sat Jan 26 23:15:18 UTC 2013

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 15:36:32 -0700
Bob van der Poel <bob at mellowood.ca> wrote:

> I've decided that the only way I'm going to get my system to record
> anything decent is to use jackd. But, I'm being a total idiot with
> this ...
>
> First off, I have the the following devices:
>
> bob$ aplay -l
> card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC883 Digital [ALC883 Digital]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 1: CODEC [USB Audio CODEC], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
> The 2nd one is a spdif speaker attached to the mother board. For now,
> lets try to get jack working with this.
>
>  pasuspender -- jackd -d alsa "ALC883 Digital"
>
> (BTW, I tried hw0,1 and some other combinations ... but they are the
> same results)
>
> After the command I get:
>
> bob$ pasuspender -- jackd -d alsa "ALC883 Digital"
> jackd 0.121.2
> Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben
> Hohn and others.
> jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
>
> JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
> cannot lock down memory for jackd (Cannot allocate memory)
> creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
> control device hw:0
> configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames (21.3 ms), buffer = 2 periods
> ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit integer little-endian
> ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
> ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit integer little-endian
> ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
> JACK: unable to mlock() port buffers: Cannot allocate memory
> JACK: unable to mlock() port buffers: Cannot allocate memory
>

> **** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.033 msecs
>

> Which seems to be okay?
>
> Now, I run audacity. Got jack as an output option and load a file.
> Play it ... the VU meter shows, but no audio. NADA. Just silence.
>

> If I can't get a simple play to work, I fear becoming a recording star
> is out of my reach!
>
> Please, this shouldn't be that hard???

What distro are you using? Are you running their own packaged apps or compiling
yourself?

I once tried building everything up peace-meal which is probably why I now have
nearly white hair :(

Is the alsa-only layer working?

Is pulse audio installed and maybe getting in the way?

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk