[LAU] I really need help with jack

Bob van der Poel bob at mellowood.ca
Sat Jan 26 23:24:04 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 4:15 PM, Folderol <folderol at ukfsn.org> wrote:

> What distro are you using? Are you running their own packaged apps or compiling
> yourself?

Ubuntu 12.04. Pretty much stock. Oh, running xfce4 which should reduce
load as well ... but that's not the issue.

> I once tried building everything up peace-meal which is probably why I now have
> nearly white hair :(

My hair is still dark, and I still have most of it. I want to keep it that way!

> Is the alsa-only layer working?

Yes, I think so. Not sure since pulse is such a bear to stop without
breaking other stuff :)

> Is pulse audio installed and maybe getting in the way?

I think, and I'm not sure, that the big problem is figuring out device
names, etc. But, like I said, this jackd stuff just confuses the hell
out of me.

Is there a simple way, without loading audacity or whatever, just to
test this by getting some beeps out of the speakers, etc.?