[LAU] I really need help with jack

Bob van der Poel bob at mellowood.ca
Sun Jan 27 03:27:10 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 7:40 PM, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> what happens with:
>
>    pasuspender -- jackd -d alsa -d hw:0,1
>
> if it runs, what happns when you start the metronome AND connect it to
> system:playback_1 ?

1. Kill off pulse.

2. In terminal 1 start jack with

    bob$ jackd -d alsa -d hw:0,1

3. In terminal 2 start the metronome:

 bob$ jack_metro -b 60
Cannot read socket fd = 5 err = Success
JackSocketClientChannel read fail
Cannot open metro client
JACK server not running?

About 20 seconds later the metronome exits and jack exits as well:

bob$ jackd -d alsa -d hw:0,1
jackdmp 1.9.8
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2011 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
Cannot lock down 82241434 byte memory area (Cannot allocate memory)
control device hw:0
control device hw:0
audio_reservation_init
Acquire audio card Audio0
creating alsa driver ... hw:0,1|hw:0,1|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames (21.3 ms), buffer = 2 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit integer little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit integer little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
JackProcessSync::LockedTimedWait error usec = 5000000 err = Connection timed out
Driver is not running
Cannot create new client
jackd: ../common/JackGraphManager.cpp:44: void
Jack::JackGraphManager::AssertPort(jack_port_id_t): Assertion
`port_index < fPortMax' failed.
Aborted

However, if I use hw:0,0 I can connect the metronome using qjackctl.
In this case it play though the regular audio port, not the digital.

Is this progress?

--
**** Listen to my CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: bob at mellowood.ca