[LAU] Linux Audio podcast, episode001

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Tue Jul 2 20:38:07 UTC 2013

On 07/02/2013 02:55 PM, Louigi Verona wrote:
> ... I believe a different approach would be great - basically, a
> modular all-in-one system, meaning modules that are designed to speak
> to each other.
>
> How realistic is that to make? Don't know.

Well, PyDAW seems to fit the bill. Of course, everyone hates the
developer so there's no enlightened discussion possible here. (It would
not be amiss to suggest that he made himself less than likeable). AFAIK
I'm the only one on this list who looked beyond the personality to
actually use the man's software. And it is exactly what you describe, a
closed-modular system of audio/MIDI recording and editing tools, with
effects and instruments prepackaged and immediately available for use.
(His synths are really nice, btw). Jeff has continued to develop the
program and I look forward to testing his latest additions.

Yes, he despises JACK and I'm pretty sure he doesn't feel all that
kindly towards ALSA. So what ? Are these things sacred cows, never to be
disturbed from their current positions ? And if he's offensive, maybe he
takes it far more seriously than we think, and maybe just maybe he has
thought through to a very different Tao of Linux audio. In another
example, the OSS/Linux guys think differently about it, and they have a
viable product.

When I asked "What sucks about Linux audio ?" I got a lot of replies
that support the contention that all is NOT well in the Linux audio
world. At the same time it occurred to me that that's just how it is
here, and if you (the impersonal "you", not you specifically, Louigi)
want to influence the way things go - in the same way that a specific
group of people determined the current path beginning in the late 1990s
- then you'd best get up and start moving, because there's talking and
walking. Talk's cheap. And the required walking skills are not
inconsiderable.

Developers of Win/Mac music software listen to users because they pay
them for a product. Can't escape the economics of the thing, it matters
whether you like it or not. If I want to keep my customer base then I
attend to their needs, else I don't get paid, and I might as well pass
the hat at Louigi Verona gigs. So we can keep talking or we can start
paying. Paul Davis has developed Ardour thanks to contributions. I
highly doubt it would have reached its current level without the money
coming in. Rui has a good day gig, and he's taken his own sweet time to
develop QTractor. (Is it out of alpha yet, Rui ? :) Not to speak for
them, but I suggest that both of these gentlemen react positively to
cash injections.

OTOH I think things are likely to be just swell for people like myself.
My use cases are not so machine-centric, and I don't need the standard
tools for EDM. Selfishly speaking, things are looking great from my POV.
But if I have a concern for the continued development of Linux audio
software then I must consider the needs of my colleagues who do require
those other tools. Their immediate concerns may not matter to me, but
their longer-term involvement is critically determined by the
availability of their needed tools. Too much stasis, and sooner or later
even Louigi is going back to Windows. And I'd rather not lose colleagues
with his capabilities.

Rant over. Peace out.

dp