[LAU] eyes verses ears

Gabbe Nord gabbe.nord at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 09:42:13 UTC 2013

Hello Rusty!

As you referred to me in the original post, I just figured I'd briefly
explain what I mainly use the analyzer for. It's as simple as me not having
a subwoofer or a reliable set of headphones for the bass. Neither my
monitors nor my studio heaphones have any noteworthy bass-response under
70hz or so, which is where most of my bass is usually. I have a set of
headphones that are of the "gamer-kind", which I've learned to use for
bass. So, what I do when mixing usually, is that I use the analyzer to
check the bass. I've learned through my time mixing my things just about
how I want it to sound, or at least the general idea. It's in no way any
substitute for the final mix and master (where I find enough systems to
listen to, and reliably mix the bass), but it's an easy way for me to keep
it in control while I'm doing the heavy work.

That's my use-case at least. :)