[LAU] Ripping Vinyl

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at cosgroves.us
Tue Jul 9 02:52:22 UTC 2013

On 7 July 2013 at 14:03, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 2013-07-06 at 15:36 -0700, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> > http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/sample_workflow_for_lp_digitization.html
>
> Don't follow this idiotic instruction.
>
> Clean a "normal dusty" LP only with a special blanket, don't
> wash such an LP.

I have really good LP cleaning equipment.  Getting the old audio
system running very well is not an issue here.  I've kept that
gear running since I first put it into service.

> Don't edit the recording, e.g. don't add compression, if needed
> do this for your classical car collection only, not to archive
> LPs.

That would almost work for me.  I tried many click, crackle and
noise correction methods.  I couldn't get any of that in Gnome
Wave Cleaner (GWC) to produce a result where I could tolerate the
fidelity reduction to the music.  But, the unwanted audio did
decrease substantially, even at low modification settings.  After
a night long of fiddling, I opted to train the noise reduction in
Audacity at the LP lead-out and use that to reduce crackle in the
inter-song track regions.  I used Audacity's declick feature, but
only on actual clicks, not on the whole audio file.  I'm quite
please with the results of my first LP ripping.

Thanks for the advice and links folks!

--
Kevin