[LAU] Session managers

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Jul 26 11:52:16 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-07-26 at 13:32 +0200, hermann meyer wrote:
> Applications can only save there config files by themselves, a
> sessionmanager cant do that ever.

Thank you Hermann,

that was the thought I had.

With good luck the HOME variable might do the job.

HOME=/path/to/session/directory application

but the thread on the Arch Linux mailing list already showed, that the
only way seems to be to write a function call that will replace the
getpwuid() calls by LD_PRELOAD.
If a session manager would do this, I suspect issues for applications
that always should use the original home directory, it at least would
cause a race condition.

Btw. I'm not willing to relearn C at the moment and so I'm unable to use
LD_PRELOAD, so I still need to search the config and than copy and
restore it, when switching between sessions.

Regards,
Ralf