[LAU] Looking for advice on a field recording device

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Fri Jul 26 13:26:21 UTC 2013

Hi there,

I finally want to buy a small field recording device, a zoom H* or
similar, and I hope that some of you have experience with some of those
devices and can give me some advice.

I want to use this device to record interesting sounds wherever I am,
so it should be relatively small and and fast to start recording. I
also intend to record lots of quiet or relatively far away sources, I
want to record bird songs rather than guitars. As far as I've seen
those devices use SSDs or similar storage media, so I assume they don't
make any noise on their own, right? I guess the microphone should also
have a low self-noise.

Any recommendations?

Regards,
Philipp