[LAU] Looking for advice on a field recording device

Julien Claassen julien at mail.upb.de
Fri Jul 26 15:04:08 UTC 2013

Hello Philipp!
   I have a Zoom h4n now and it is very good. It's not the tiniest of
implements, but certainly easyenough to carry around. It takes a minute to
start up, but then recording is instantaneous. It has two built-in microphones
and you can change the angle between those two from 90 to 120 degrees. The
self-noise is present, but OK. You can go to my website and check outmy field
recordings to get your own impressions of its recording quality.
   A friend recently bought a Zoom H2n. It's much smaller, doesn't have as many
fancy recording options. I don't know, how fast this can boot up and I don't
know the difference in sound. I can ask myfriend, what he thinks. He knows the
Zoom H4n in comparison, since it was his. :-)
   As to their own noise levels, you assume correctly. Since they write on SD
cards, they are silent.
   Warm regards
         Julien