[LAU] linux compatible USB Audio Interface

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Sun Jul 28 09:42:49 UTC 2013

On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 09:51:23 -0700
profiles <piedraarena at lavabit.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am a musician and recently joined this mailing list. I use Fedora18
> and would like to use it to create music. I am having trouble getting
> off the ground as I have not identified a USB Audio Interface that is
> compatible with Fedora. I have visited the ALSA soundcard matrix wiki
> and a number of forums in hopes of finding a device. Unfortunately
> many of the models and makes talked about are a few years old now and,
> frequently, are no longer available from distributors. I imagine a few
> people on this list use some sort of soundcard to test/use all of the
> great software that is being created for linux users.
>
> I am inviting suggestions from people with experience in the
> application of audio hardware in the fedora environment. I am looking
> for a device that uses an independent power plug, connects with usb
> 2.0, and has both MIDI and analogue inputs and outputs. A device
> similar to this would be great:
>
> http://www.presonus.com/products/AudioBox-44VSL/media
>
> Thanks and I look forward to offering feedback on software once I am
> up and running.
>
> -Occhi

Hi Occhi,
my experience is limited to a device that doesn't fit your bill (Edirol
UA-25), but at least it simply works. However, USB might not be the
best way to go if you have other options. You can achieve lower
latencies with pretty much everything else, firewire or however those
card bus things are called. If you're just recording or playing back,
that's no problem, but as soon as you need something like monitoring,
the latency can bite you. My device has some direct monitoring option,
probably for exactly that reason, but it is somewhat unsatisfactory.

I guess if you tell us a bit more about your requirements, someone will
be able to give you good advice.

Regards,
Philipp