[LAU] LightWorks for Linux Demo

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Wed Mar 13 12:03:13 UTC 2013

Am 13.03.2013 02:44, schrieb Brett McCoy:
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 7:20 PM, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>
>> Cinelerra can't compare with it, LightWorks is professional software,
>> but it does need professional gear, so Cinelerra or even kmenc15 still
>> might be better solution for most of us.
>
> I've found Cinelerra to be very buggy and unstable (crashed a lot). I
> used it on a couple of projects but it was not to my taste, I guess.
> The workflow and interface was kind of clumsy, too.
>
> kdenlive is much more usable but seems to suffer from KDE bloat

Indeed it may be faster/snappier if it would not integrate all the
KDE-Stuff but: the time, when KDEnlive really hang because of being
bloatish where over 1.5-2 years ago and it did not crash on me in the
last months either.

Anyway: KDE ist still much leaner/faster than MSWindows and still leaner
than OSX and these are the big beacons of professionality everybody is
longing for is it not ;-)

Having 8Gig of RAM when you plan to edit AV and a decent entry-level
graphics card and audio-interface should be not too rude a requirement
nowadays methinks...
And I had KDEnlive cutting 2h-videos with hundreds of cuts/transitions,
titles etc on a T60 Thinkpad with but 2 Gigs of RAM.

In the end I think, if KDEnlive would drop all te "KDE-bloat" and
optimize by using basic QT-stuff only, the effect would be hardly
recognizable for the user.