[LAU] OT multimedia content

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Mar 13 23:01:52 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-03-13 at 15:30 -0700, Len Ovens wrote:
> I don't know how I ever ended up working a TV station when I was
> younger

Perhaps for the same reasons as many of us. When you are young and
interested in audio engineering you need to start with something. TV
stations and film studios need cable carriers. Audio studios don't
provide that many jobs for beginners. I became "Tonmeister" later, I
started with a cable in my hands, standing beside a camera man. Holding
a cable in your hands has less to do with audio engineering, but that is
one way to start. Perhaps your job was more interesting, than rolling up
cables, but I guess a lot of people start with exactly this job, or at
least with a similar job at a TV station or film studio. Ok, I did not
only roll up cables, I also was best boy and threaded in video tapes.

Did anybody on this list start directly as audio engineer?