[LAU] Trying to run jackd from udev

Robin Gareus robin at linuxaudio.org
Sun Mar 24 13:42:13 UTC 2013

On 03/24/2013 02:24 PM, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> On 03/24/2013 01:47 PM, Robin Gareus wrote:
>> it is. edit /etc/pam.d/su and make sure there's a line:
>>
>> session    required   pam_limits.so
>>
>> on debian it's commented out by default. and su does not set/unset limit
>> required for RT operation.
>>

> Hello Robin,
>
> I just set up a wrapper script following Ralf's advise but I think this
> option is more elegant so you win the Stroopwafel this time :) So many
> thanks, I'll settle with this solution.

Mmh lekker stroopwafeltjes!

>> As for starting jack from udev. I just run 'dbus-triggerd' [1] as user.
>> No pam-hacking required:)   dbus-triggerd triggers shell-commands when
>> something happens on dbus (e.g. audio-device connected/disconnected). An
>> example how to put it all together is:
>> http://gareus.org/blog/jack2dbus
>>

> I've looked at this option but I prefer using Jack1.

This works just fine with jack1, too. dbus-tiggerd just launches
commands  or shell scripts. It's completely independent from jack's dbus
stuff.

Though in my case I'm using dbus-tiggerd to [launch a script to] send
dbus messages to jack2 for things such as backend switching..

Anyway if you just want to start it, a udev rule will do the trick as well.

robin